Re: The GRUB2 Bootloader – Installation and Configuration

On Sat, 2024-05-04 at 07:53 +0200, Peter Boy wrote:

> > Am 04.05.2024 um 05:41 schrieb Sérgio Basto <sergio@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> >
> > Hi,
> > About this documentation [0], finally talks about rescue a
> > bootloader
> > with live images ... (but I will wrote about that in another time)
>
> That doc is quite old, last review 2012-05-11! As a member of the
> docs board it tried to get it updated by an expert Fedorian,
> unfortunately without success. Grub changes only slowly and
> carefully. Basically, the text is still OK in my opinion, but some
> things are missing.
>

> > I run in trouble on cloning a disk from an old computer and
> > starting
> > booting on a new computer , security get the thing more
> > complicated, I
> > had to disable secure boot and selinux not sure , but I advice boot
> > with kernel parameter selinux=0
>
> To set selinux=0 is a bad idea. All the issues you describe have
> nothing to do with selinux.
>
> > my old computer was bios legacy and the new have UEFI and here
> > starts
> > the challenge .

also this documentation can be wrong
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fedora/rawhide/system-administrators-guide/kernel-module-driver-configuration/Working_with_the_GRUB_2_Boot_Loader/#sec-grub2-reinstall_on_UEFI-Based_Machines

> That’s really a challenge. You don’t describe what you did in detail.

I did some notes, some years ago on https://www.serjux.com/clone/ and I
will update it after write this email .

First I installed Fedora 39 on new computer with an usb stick with
Network Install iso , is only useful to make the partitions ...
After I just copied the disks from old computer to the new computer
over the network, something like this [1] to an /mnt/new directory, in
old computer previously I logged out all sessions and run as root init
3.
After with same "Network Install iso", I boot again in new computer but
in rescue mode and I delete root and boot of the previous installation
and move data (of old computer) from /mnt/new folder to / and /boot

The next is just change on /etc/fstab the new location of / and /boot
[2], ATM we also need edit /etc/kernel/cmdline [3] with the same new
location of root partition.

and reboot again several times in rescue mode, until restore the GRUB2
Bootloader  ,

Notes for boot into rescue mode :

As I mention I disable secured boot on bios and think I needed to boot
"Network Install iso" with selinux=0 in grub command line [4].

if /etc/fstab doesn't have the correct paths, we may not have LVM
active, so to activate it we need run : `lvm vgchange -a y`

disable bell: `rmmod pcspkr`
change keyboard layout: `loadkeys pt`

chroot /mnt/sysimage/ or chroot /mnt/sysroot (it will be printed by
rescue system)

dnf reinstall shim-* grub2-efi-* grub2-common (where I think is
important boot with selinux=0 or else you may got spurious messages
[4])

grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg

grubby --info=ALL

[1]
mkdir /mnt/new
cd /mnt/new/
ssh root@192.168.1.102 "dump -0 -f - / " | cat - | restore -r -f -
ssh root@192.168.1.102 "dump -0 -f - /boot " | cat - | restore -r -f -

[2]
/dev/mapper/fedora_legion-root /     ext4    defaults        1 1
UUID=a5d616ff-f93c-4887-9b8f-7895628ff787 /boot  ext4    defaults
1 2

[3]
root=/dev/mapper/fedora_legion-root ro audit=0 selinux=0

[4]
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fedora/rawhide/system-administrators-guide/kernel-module-driver-configuration/Working_with_the_GRUB_2_Boot_Loader/#sec-Terminal_Menu_Editing_During_Boot

edit menu during the boot to add selinux=0

--
Sérgio M. B.