Re: The GRUB2 Bootloader – Installation and Configuration

> Am 04.05.2024 um 05:41 schrieb Sérgio Basto <sergio@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> Hi,
> About this documentation [0], finally talks about rescue a bootloader
> with live images ... (but I will wrote about that in another time)

That doc is quite old, last review 2012-05-11! As a member of the docs board it tried to get it updated by an expert Fedorian, unfortunately without success. Grub changes only slowly and carefully. Basically, the text is still OK in my opinion, but some things are missing.

> I run in trouble on cloning a disk from an old computer and starting
> booting on a new computer , security get the thing more complicated, I
> had to disable secure boot and selinux not sure , but I advice boot
> with kernel parameter selinux=0

To set selinux=0 is a bad idea. All the issues you describe have nothing to do with selinux.

> my old computer was bios legacy and the new have UEFI and here starts
> the challenge .

That’s really a challenge. You don’t describe what you did in detail. But the first think is that you can’t clone the disk. Your old BIOS boot system probably uses an MBR partition scheme. Your new computer with UEFI, on the other hand, requires a GPT partitioning scheme.

You will have to make a lot of manual adjustments to transfer the system.
You can convert your disk to GPT [a]. I never did this and I’m wondering how successful it works.

I never did this, but I guess the best option is to keep your new computer on UEFI, do a complete new installation, but use ANACONDA from the live image to replace btrfs by a LVM system reproducing your old LVM partitions as close as possible and use grub2 (maybe you have to use the everything net install medium). When the system boots, clone your LVM partitions (each partition separately, not the complete disk). Most importantly you should preserver the respective partition numbers. And find out what else to adjust (e.g. the uuids). That will we a lot of work, I guess.

[a] https://serverfault.com/questions/963178/how-do-i-convert-my-linux-disk-from-mbr-to-gpt-with-uefi/963179#963179
--
Peter Boy
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pboy

Timezone: CET (UTC+1) / CEST (UTC+2)

Fedora Server Edition Working Group member
Fedora Docs team contributor and board member
Java developer and enthusiast