Re: Simpler first tutorial package for Package Maintainer Docs

Kenneth Goldman kirjoitti 3.5.2024 klo 23.07:
A review from a complete newbie ...

1. The link points to a pull request.  Where is the actual tutorial?

At the time you and I originally wrote, nowhere. The docs development workflow is to update the documentation source Git using the usual workflow with pull requests and so, then automation periodically (once a day I think?) generating the actual docs.fedoraproject.org site.

It would be great to have automation that generates a temporary site for each pull request, and it would be even more great if it would also highlight changed/added/removed parts in the resulting site. But at the moment, we do not have anything like that. So if reading Pagure's texual diff does not work (which, for large changes, it often does not), then you need to fetch the pull request's branch and generate the site locally. Repo's README tells you how to that.

But in this case, by coincidence, I just merged the pull request, so now you can read the actual tutorial live [2]. Feedback is still welcome, if you have any!

[2]: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/package-maintainers/Packaging_Tutorial_1_banner/

2. The page refers to Pagure, Antora, ... I wonder if they're necessary for
packaging.

I am not sure what you are referring to with "the page". The pull request page?

Antora is the site generator used for Fedora Docs, and Package Maintainer Docs sources are hosted on pagure.io, so both of those are very much necessary for docs writing. If Pagure or Antora are necessary for packaging? The answers are "yes" and "no". But the tutorial itself does not even mention either.

As a newbie, I would like an example that looks like:

1. Push the main branch to github.
2. Do these steps.
n. Push the result to Fedora.

I agree. For now, the tutorial only covers specfile writing and test builds, but does not have anything about interaction with upstream, pushing to dist-git or official Fedora builds. Extending the tutorial to also cover those topics (in part 3 and beyond) would not be very difficult. The main issue is that we would need a dummy upstream project solely for this purpose, and some people to play the part of upstream developers, to merge pull requests from people following the tutorial. There was a thread about this kind of tutorial in devel some years ago also, but unfortunately I cannot seem to find it now.