OCaml flambda optimizations causing a compilation slow down

In Fedora we enable flambda in our OCaml package.  Debian does not.

Flambda is "a series of optimisation passes provided by the native
code compilers as of OCaml 4.03" and "aims to make it easier to write
idiomatic OCaml code without incurring performance penalties".  In
other words, it claims to be a better optimizer.

More here:
https://ocaml.org/manual/5.1/flambda.html

We recently found that one package (coccinelle) takes much, much
longer to compile when this is enabled.  As in one particular file
goes from seconds -> 30 minutes to compile.  I investigated and the
difference is entirely explained by enabling flambda, and goes away
when disabled.  Apart from this being annoying, it doesn't seem to be
a problem in any other way (for example, the final program doesn't
noticable run faster or slower).  Upstream coccinelle seem to be using
Debian and therefore haven't seen the problem.

Thread about all that:
https://lore.kernel.org/cocci/20240502085433.GA30267@xxxxxxxxxx/

This email is mostly to notify that this is happening.  I'm not sure
if a single package slowing down compilation means we need to do
anything here, but if anyone else sees similar symptoms, let us know.

Rich.

http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v