Re: pipenv removal in F40

Il 30/04/24 10:47 AM, Kevin Kofler via devel ha scritto:
> Miro Hrončok wrote:
>> If you wish to help, I guess you can send a pull request to the release
>> notes...
> Or Mattia could simply unretire and adopt the package.

Yeah, well... no! :-)

I've re-read the former discussion about pipenv being orphaned and why.
I thought it was decided to drop pipenv because too much dependencies
were bundled, but now that I re-read the thread I see it was because
it's a nightmare to maintain because of too much bundled dependencies
and too low workforce.

I do not have any more spare time to put in that effort myself, so I'll
just live with "pip install --user pipenv" ;-)

I'll see to drop a note to F40 release notes, because even if I agree a
change proposal was not required I think this could be an high impact
change that python developers using Fedora need to know.

As a side note, I dream that one day someone will come out with a clever
solution for packaging python stuff without the burden to package all
needed dependencies... something like installing packaged dependencies
with dnf plus automatically use a dedicated virtual environment and pip
to install everything not already packaged in Fedora... well, it's just
a dream!

Mattia