Re: F41 Change Proposal - Reproducible Package Builds (System-Wide)

On Wed, Apr 17, 2024 at 08:39:48AM +0200, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> Dne 16. 04. 24 v 10:04 odp. Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek napsal(a):
> > Hmm, how would that work? We call mock, which calls systemd-nspawn,
> > which runs rpmbuild, and the build env is completely isolated from the
> > host.
>
> By adding this functionality to Mock itself. It can be optional (--add-determinism). And then Mock can call
>
>   add-determinism $chroot/%buildroot/

I don't think we should make this particular functionality special.
We have a bunch of brps:
+ /usr/lib/rpm/check-buildroot
+ /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/brp-ldconfig
+ /usr/lib/rpm/brp-compress
+ /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/brp-strip-lto
+ /usr/lib/rpm/brp-strip-static-archive
+ /usr/lib/rpm/check-rpaths
+ /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/brp-mangle-shebangs
+ /usr/lib/rpm/brp-remove-la-files
+ /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/brp-python-bytecompile
+ /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/brp-python-hardlink
And if such a feature is added, it should be generic to allow all
and any of those to be moved out of the build env.

In some ways, that'd be nice, because we wouldn't have to install
additional tools in the buildroot. But OTOH, those tools are rather
small and bash/find/etc probably need to be installed anyway. And
also, the package can configure and override the brps via macros. If
they were called from the outside, we'd need to at least figure out a
new protocol for that.

Certainly an interesting idea, but I'm not convinced, yet.

---

BTW.:
+ /usr/lib/rpm/brp-remove-la-files

This one means that various packages that remove .la files on their
own don't need to do this. Maybe we could have a pp sweep over the
specs and drop various 'find %{buildroot} -name *.la -delete'?

Zbyszek