Re: network service removed in Fedora 40 without a Change proposal(?)

On Fri, Apr 12, 2024 at 05:44:36PM -0500, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> On 4/12/24 16:46, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > it seems since I last looked at this, NM has grown some level of
> > openvswitch support, but it seems to be limited, and I don't know off-
> > hand if it's sufficient for what openQA needs. I will need to look into
> > that.
> > https://github.com/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/blob/main/man/nm-openvswitch.xml
>
> I've attempted to use it on a couple occasions, and I've never been
> able to get it to work.  It requires creating 3 different objects,

Right, that's because the OVS support in NM is modeled after the ovsdb
schema, with separate entities for bridges, ports and interfaces. When
you create a bridge with 'ovs-vsctl add-br br1', that actually
generates 3 objects:

  # ovs-vsctl show
      Bridge br1
          Port br1
              Interface br1
                  type: internal

If there was only a single NM connection profile for the whole bridge,
it wouldn't be possible e.g. to attach another interface to port
"br1", or to describe more complex setups in a declarative way.

> in the correct order, with exactly the right settings.

The order shouldn't matter; if it does, that seems a bug.

If it helps, "man nm-openvswitch" provides an overview of OVS support
in NM.

> And AFAIK, it still doesn't support setting the internal port to the
> same name as the bridge itself, which is the default behavior of
> ovs-vsctl and the network scripts, so it's a disruptive change to the
> network configuration even if it can be made to work.

This configuration is certainly supported. If you found any problems,
please report a bug.

Beniamino