Re: Three steps we could take to make supply chain attacks a bit harder

The idea is rather to scan the same QR twice, for two yubikeys, and then screenshot it and save it securely in case you lose one yubikey and need to load it into a new one.

On Fri, Apr 12, 2024 at 2:39 PM Richard W.M. Jones <rjones@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 12, 2024 at 09:47:04AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 2024-04-11 at 19:52 -0700, Carlos Rodriguez-Fernandez wrote:
> > I was hesitant to have MFA for a while. Imagine losing a phone with tons
> > of tokens. What a hassle to recover from that. I found it less than
> > ideal for practical reasons.
>
> This is one reason most systems provide a sheet of one-time backup
> codes that you're meant to print out and keep in a safe place, for
> recovery from exactly that scenario.
>
> Alternatively, if you have an old phone or tablet lying around, just
> install an MFA app on that and enrol it too, lock it in a cabinet, then
> if you ever lose your primary phone, use it to recover.

So the problem with github is they don't allow you to have 2FA on a
backup device (or rather, it *is* possible, but the process is
ludicrous[1]).  If you have your phone as second FA and lose it then
you have to immediately fall back to the piece of paper.

[1] https://github.com/orgs/community/discussions/78027

I really hope we can avoid that mistake.

Rich.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MinGW