Re: Three steps we could take to make supply chain attacks a bit harder

On Mon, Apr 1, 2024 at 1:10 AM Kilian Hanich via devel
<devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 2FA in a lot of cases is just access to a different account (e.g. email
> or even SMS) and these normally aren't unique. Sure, there are other
> ways like FIDO2, but these are not necessarily used (or liked, quite
> frankly I know a lot of people who would loose them on a monthly basis,
> but still are quite smart about other stuff).

Given that FIDO2 credentials can be stored
on your mobile device (and exchanged with
other devices), if those people are losing their
mobile devices every month they likely have
other issues (including a very expensive
mobile device replacement budget) for which
there is likely no viable solution.

FAS' use of TOTP 2FA is not a great solution
compared to FIDO2, and there are well known
attacks against TOTP 2FA, but even TOTP
2FA can reduce the doorknob rattling exploits.
As TOTP 2FA generators exist for most
mobile devices one will tend to have a
TOTP 2FA generator with one most of the
time.

To the Fedora leadership:

What is the best way to formally propose
that 2FA is required for packagers after
some date (I suppose we could have
different dates for PPs vs others if we
wanted to do that in order to get started
sooner).  Do we need a formal Change
Proposal to be voted on by someone?
It does not really seem like a FESCo
issue to me, but more of a policy issue
that might need to go to the Council?
I have no doubt that such a proposal
will be controversial with some, and
all those issues should get a (re-)airing
in front of those making the decision.