Re: What we mean when we talk about "supply chains" [was Re: Three steps we could take to make supply chain attacks a bit harder]

Hello,

I have been deleting most of these emails, but I feel like this is a bit
myopic.

On Tuesday, April 2, 2024 6:25:56 PM EDT Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
> Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
>
> > And, more importantly, the industry has agreed
> > to use the term supply chain.  Is the term
> > perhaps overloaded, or perhaps too
> > ill-defined/imprecise?  Sure.  But if one wants
> > to use a different term one would need to work
> > across the industry to change the term, and
> > that is not going to happen.
>
> Well, one could argue that Free Software is a community, not an industry,
> so  "the industry" cannot agree on anything, and "supply chain" as an
> industrial term obviously does not apply.

But it does. The term "supply chain" refers to the process of acquiring,
organizing, and distributing the necessary resources and components to build
and maintain the distribution. This includes acquiring source code from
various upstream projects, integrating them into the distribution, and then
packaging and distributing the final product to end-users. The supply chain
involves a variety of tasks such as software development, testing, quality
assurance, responding to bug reports, documentation, and support. IOW, it is
a process.

It is the community that carries out the process.

-Steve