Re: F42 Change Proposal: Fedora Plasma Workstation (System-Wide)

Sorry, that's pretty much how things are right now, is that what you were trying to demonstrate?

I'm not really following.

Personally, if we were to promote both KDE and Gnome on the website, I'd make it dead simple. I really suck at making graphics so I'll try to put it in text:

I imagine a page, where 60% of the page's vh (Viewpoint height -- the viewable height on your browser) is used to showcase KDE and Gnome. The left side would be KDE and the right side would be Gnome (Colors don't really matter tbh but they should differ enough to outline the difference between the two)

On each side, you'd have a partial screenshot of what the DE looks like, maybe with a short youtube video that shows a quick demo and some text outlining the major points of the DE.

I would also suggests adding a thinner section below to simply point to a page with "More choices", where you'd see the other spins.

On Tue, Apr 2, 2024 at 8:36 PM Kevin Kofler via devel <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Ok, thats obvously somewhat tounge in cheek, but if we promote multiple
> things, we need some way to describe them to uses who might not know the
> history of things and do it in a quick enough way that they won't decide
> it's all confusing and go do something else.

It is actually quite simple:

Here are your options:

[I HATE OPTIONS, JUST GIVE ME SOMETHING WITH NO OPTIONS!] (big button) →
downloads GNOME x86_64

DESKTOP SPINS:

Desktop:
( ) GNOME (Workstation)
( ) KDE Plasma Desktop
( ) Xfce
etc.

Architecture:
( ) x86_64 (64-bit x86/AMD64)
( ) aarch64 (64-bit ARM)
etc.

[DOWNLOAD SELECTED]

MOBILE SPINS:

Mobile Environment:
( ) Phosh
etc.

Architecture:
( ) aarch64 (64-bit ARM)
etc.

[DOWNLOAD SELECTED]

LABS:

Lab:
( ) Astronomy
etc.

Architecture:
etc.

[DOWNLOAD SELECTED]

ATOMIC DESKTOPS:

Desktop:
( ) GNOME (Silverblue)
( ) KDE Plasma Desktop (Kinoite)
( ) Sway (Atomic)
( ) Budgie (Atomic)

Architecture:
etc.

[DOWNLOAD SELECTED]

OTHER EDITIONS:

Edition:
( ) Server
etc.

Architecture:
etc.

[DOWNLOAD SELECTED]

Of course there is going to be a lot of bikeshedding about the order of the
options. I would put them in that order, because I think desktop spins are
most likely to be downloaded by a new user, then mobile, then use-case-
specific labs, then experiments like Atomic, and then non-desktop stuff like
Server. But the most important feature is the "I HATE OPTIONS!" button,
because it serves exactly the users you think will be confused by the
options and will give them a desktop environment designed exactly for them.

        Kevin Kofler