Re: xz backdoor

On 31/03/2024 16.56, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
On Sun, Mar 31 2024 at 12:55:23 PM +00:00:00, Christopher Klooz <py0xc3@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In case someone from the Fedora Magazine is in the devel mailing list and reads this:

I'm really frustrated with our communication regarding this issue. Does anybody know who can fix this?

If we don't know who can fix Fedora Magazine on a Sunday, maybe we should just take down the entire domain until tomorrow. Fedora Magazine is an authoritative source and a lot of people are trusting the wrong information that we're providing.

Thanks for complaining about this, Christopher.

Michael

I don't feel good to implement such means without consensus with other moderators, but given that this article keeps telling affected users that they are not affected while it spreads confusing/misleading information, I have changed the Fedora Discussion topic [1] to make clear about the issue with the Fedora Magazine article in the very beginning, and indirectly warn about it. For average users, Fedora Discussion is the major source next to the magazine afaik. I tried to formulate it accommodating, but it has to be clear that the article's information was not correct and now the update added another incorrect information (Kevin made clear that beta has testing enabled) while the previous incorrect information is not devaluated either.

I think the Fedora Discussion topic's content shall do it for now and satisfy the majority of users. I keep following here, but if there is any change/add I need to do on that page, feel free to send/CC me an email directly, or a message on discourse. I keep available at least until Thursday to update it regularly if necessary.

[1] https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/attention-malicious-code-in-current-pre-release-testing-versions-variants-f40-and-rawhide-affected-users-of-f40-rawhide-need-to-respond/110683

Chris