[SPDX] Mass license change: Intro and change of "Bitstream Vera" to "Bitstream-Vera"

Hi.

The last phase of SPDX migration has been approved

   https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/SPDX_Licenses_Phase_4

Part of this change is automatic changes of "trivial" changes.

Let's do a step back and state loudly what is and what is not trivial change: By trivial we understand change where id in Callaway has only one *known* counterpart in SPDX system. E.g. CC0 in Callaway has CC0-1.0 counterpart in SPDX. And it is unlikely that CC0 can refer to something else.

On the other hand, BSD can refer to BSD-2-Clause or to BSD-3-Clause. Without analysis the conversion cannot be done automatically.

But even when there is only one know counterpart it may not be safe to automatically convert the license. That is case of e.g., "Free Art". Although we have in our DB only one known couterpart "LAL-1.3" it is not safe to automate this conversion, because there are multiple versions of this license in the wild. We just do not have them in our DB.

I also put "trivial" in quotes. Because what we very often encoutered is that the license tag is e.g. "GPLv2+". But if you run the license analysis of sources you discover several files under different license. The automatic conversion is unable to catch such case. :( In future we plan to introduce a tool that will analyse every new source and warns you about suspicious used licenses that were not in previous source. For now we have only this analysis that I run in one-shot mode in January: http://miroslav.suchy.cz/fedora/spdx-reports/

Now, what we are going to change: I plan to start with licenses that are used in just few occurrences and get feedback, experience, rosolve issues and progress toward to behemoths like GPL* strings.

I want to start with "Bitstream Vera" license that can be translated to "Bitstream-Vera".

It is used in these packages:

./bitstream-vera-fonts.spec:License: Bitstream Vera
./bpg-fonts.spec:License:       Bitstream Vera
./bpg-fonts.spec:License:       Bitstream Vera
./bpg-fonts.spec:License:       Bitstream Vera
./bpg-fonts.spec:License:       Bitstream Vera
./bpg-fonts.spec:License:       Bitstream Vera
./bpg-fonts.spec:License:       Bitstream Vera
./bpg-fonts.spec:License:       Bitstream Vera
./bpg-fonts.spec:License:       Bitstream Vera
./godot.spec:License:        MIT and CC-BY and ASL 2.0 and BSD and zlib and OFL and Bitstream Vera and ISC and MPLv2.0
./godot3.spec:License:        MIT and CC-BY and ASL 2.0 and BSD and zlib and OFL and Bitstream Vera and ISC and MPLv2.0
./pymol.spec:License: MIT and BSD and Bitstream Vera and OFL
./R-fontBitstreamVera.spec:License:          Bitstream Vera
./vdrsymbol-fonts.spec:License:        Bitstream Vera and Public Domain
./arx-libertatis.spec:License:       GPLv3+ and Bitstream Vera and OFL and BSL-1.0 and MIT and zlib

I have no strong opinion how to process with the case of  "MIT and BSD and Bitstream Vera and OFL". I think that converting it to " MIT and BSD and Bitstream-Vera and OFL" is probably best option. I.e. the License tag will become mixture of Callaway and SPDX. It will not make it valid SPDX formula so it will still pop up as package to be fixed, but at least some work will be done. It seems better to me than skipping such packages altogether. I am open to better suggestions.

I plan to wait 7 days from each announce and then do the migration. I will use my provenpackage power to do the change directly in dist-git. I will bump up release and add changelog entry, but I do not plan to build the package. This can wait for mass rebuild. And of course the change will be only in rawhide.

--
Miroslav Suchy, RHCA
Red Hat, Manager, Packit and CPT, #brno, #fedora-buildsys