Re: just to let you know FESCo agreed to a preliminary injunction while we consider this issue

On Fri, Feb 02, 2024 at 11:08:15AM +0000, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 2, 2024 at 10:47 AM Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > I have an obvious answer is when the authors decide, in this case Xorg,
> > > when Xorg decides that it will stop supporting X11, like happened to
> > > Python2 or PHP5 and 7 or Gnome
> >
> > X.org (the ppl doing X development) doesn't work that way, there won't
> > be an official "we're no longer supporting this". More likely
> > development will languish (except for Xwayland) and actual Xorg releases
> > will be few and far in between, at unpredictable cadence and subject to
> > someone wanting to do it.
> >
> > The last Xorg release (21.0) from the master branch was in Oct 2021. The
> > only reason that one happened was because Povilas (who wanted a new
> > feature in X) stepped up and did the work of collecting the MRs and
> > doing the release maintainership. Every 21.x release since has been
> > backports and, especially more recently, a huge percentage are CVE fixes.
> >
> > Fedora still ships the previous release, server 1.20.x, which was
> > originally released from git master in 2018, the 1.20.14 version we're
> > on (excluding fixes and CVEs) is from Dec 2021.
> >
> > Xwayland on the other hand (which lives in the same git repo) continues
> > on its merry way with the 23.2 series branched as recently as last
> > August. But an Xwayland release does not include Xorg because, well,
> > there is little motivation to do more Xorg releases.
> >
> > When it comes down to it it "just" needs someone (trustworthy enough) to
> > step up and do them. Whether the releases get picked up immediately like in
> > the olden days is a different matter. But I doubt there'll be an X.org
> > statement of "we no longer support Xorg" anytime soon, even though that
> > is, to some extent functionally already true.
> >

> And even before that, things were already only limping along. That was
> happening for over a decade and in that timeframe *nobody* has wanted
> to step up and work on it. Wayland is the future because otherwise we
> have no graphics future, as things currently stand.

It also doesn't help that the "it's the same people working on X and
Wayland" argument means that, absent significant breakthroughs in
space-time research, we can work on one or the other, not both.
Something's got to give.

Cheers,
  Peter