Re: just to let you know FESCo agreed to a preliminary injunction while we consider this issue

On 2024-02-03 9:01 a.m., Björn Persson wrote:
Neal Gompa wrote:
It's extremely obvious that people want to use it.
It's extremely obvious that *some* people want to use Wayland. It's
equally obvious that some other people want to use X. It's also obvious
that certain people want to make *everybody else* use Wayland. On the
other hand I'm not seeing anyone trying to make everybody use X.

Honestly this looks a lot like the usual human desire to force deviants
into the mainstream mold.
In the grand scheme of things, most people are in no way involved in the implementation/development of the software we build. So in this case, you're right; but at the same time the same remains true for all other changes in all other distros: We strive to make it as painless as possible for the end user, while doing as much as we can to foster development and improvements of new technologies. For me, at least, that is one of the major reasons I use Fedora, I love to see what is to come.

Neither of you are aligning with the Fedora Foundation of Friends,
Building artificial obstacles to make it difficult for other people to
use what works best for them is not friendly. I'm seeing people trying
to make it difficult to use X by relegating it to Copr. I have not seen
anyone try to relegate Wayland to Copr. So who's actually being
unfriendly here?

The users will come when Wayland provides a better user experience than
X. For *their* usecases, not only for yours.

Björn Persson

Isn't that pretty much what we potentially risk doing every time we submit a change proposal, though? What about when GNOME decides to go towards a similar path and put out the xorg libraries from the project? Would fedora allow those libraries back through an external package like this?

There's also a secondary thing that I feel hasn't been discussed here though: I know work is being done right now to isolate the x11 components of plasma and add build-time options to strip out those components. What happens when we (as-in, the KDE sig) split off those components and now you got 10-15+ x11 packages people gotta install to make it all work?

Things will just be an absolute mess....