Re: just to let you know FESCo agreed to a preliminary injunction while we consider this issue

On Wed, Jan 31, 2024 at 09:27:52PM -0000, Alessandro Astone wrote:
> I can support that.
>
> But am I supposed to ignore the fact that kkofler is already bullying the KDE SIG into not breaking that one other package they maintain that occasionally breaks on kde updates? See example: https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2023-977de87584
>
> Am I going to have to see kkofler rant in every plasma update that their xorg stack breaks?

I hope not ;) Essentially, the proposed resolution say that it's OK to
ignore packages that part of the -x11 stack if they haven't been fixed
sufficiently quickly.

On Wed, Jan 31, 2024 at 10:38:27PM -0000, Alessandro Astone wrote:
> The "personal attack" is a consideration on the proposed maintainer of these packages.
>
> > every effort in order to not to break things must be made.

This describes the normal policy for updates. Here we are talking
about an exception: every effort DOES NOT have to be made. I assume
the maintainers will do what is reasonable, but the only strict
requirement is a "notice before major changes".

KDE is already subject an Updates Policy exception that allows major
updates in stable releases [1,2]. This will make it harder for the -x11
stack to keep up.

[1] https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fesco/Updates_Policy/#kde
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/KDE/Update_policy

> Then I cannot support these packages being added. It is putting
> additional effort on the KDE-SIG up to once per every week;
> especially since we're at the beginning of the Plasma 6 release
> cycle and releases are going to be hectic.
> The proposed resolutions by adamw, zbyszek, etc. seem to imply that
> it would not be required. blogilo is as much of a
> non-release-blocking component as plasma-workspace-x11 would be.

This all sounds like maintaining the -x11 stack will be a lot of work.
Nevertheless, with the proposed resolution, this is not _your_ problem.
It's the job of the folks who signed up to maintain the older packages
to do that.

I know that you expect that this will cause additional friction
and user confusion and slows things down. I expect that you are right.
Things would be a bit smoother if we dropped the -x11 packages
completely, but in this case, the reasons to not do that are
also important.

Firstly, Fedora is about letting people work on the stuff that they
want to work on. We can't and — I'm very certain — shouldn't prevent
people from working on the -x11 stack if they want to. By the same
token, I support your desire to not work on the -x11 and concentrate
on the wayland variants.

Secondly, there are strong benefits from having packages in the main
distro. The proposed approaches with a copr or other form of external
packages are possible, and would be OK for more advanced users, but
it's just easier and more secure for "normal" users if packages are in
the main repo. If it turns out that this approach doesn't work, we
can always move to one of the other approaches later (or abandon
the old stack completely).

Zbyszek