Re: Modern C i686 failures

Yaakov Selkowitz venit, vidit, dixit 2024-01-24 21:01:39:
> The GCC 14 and Modern C changes have caused a large number of build
> failures.  No surprise there, but in particular though, a lot of these
> failures have only occurred on i686, e.g.  uint64_t (aka long long
> unsigned int) doesn't match long unsigned int *, etc.
>
> A few examples:
>
> gnome-keyring: https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=112010040
> ldns: https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=112074780
> ledmon: https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=112074925
> libfabric: https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=112077476
> libgphoto2: https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=112078167
>
> Granted, in some cases this can be motivation to retire i686 leaves,
> but for those that are not leaves, they now need to be fixed for i686
> to complete the mass rebuild.
>
> Given the increasingly limited usage of i686 in Fedora (not to mention
> CentOS Stream and RHEL), is it actually worth the effort to "fix" all
> the code just for 32-bit compatibility?  Or perhaps it's better if we
> focus on issues that pertain to our primary (64-bit) architectures?

That is an understandable impulse.

OTOH, I saw time_t vs int issues as well as uint64 vs int which were a
mismatch between ondisk (file format) and in-memeory data. Fixing these
now means getting ready for potential changes of time_t and similar -
unless you "fix" these things by wrong casts just to quell gcc, of
course. I just whish this had come upon us earlier in the cycle.

Cheers,
Michael