Re: goal: booting with an empty /etc

On 12/11/23 09:55, Peter Boy wrote:

Am 11.12.2023 um 15:09 schrieb David Both <LinuxGeek46@xxxxxxxx>:

What is the objective of achieving this "boot with empty /etc"? What
does it accomplish? What problem does it solve?
For me, from a sysadmin POV, the great advantage is the clear separation of sysadmin made configuration and distribution provided (default) configuration. It makes the life of a sysadmin much easier, easier backup and selective restore, easier hunting for the cause of issues in a local app configuration, easier recovery and easier rebuild of a system that has become completely unusable. And all this for an RPM-based system and has nothing to do with containers.

However, I would consider a simple and unmistakable structure, i.e. 2 separate directories with XFS or BTRFS file system, to be reasonable and not an overlay file system. This only makes the recovery in emergency mode and limited tool availability prone to errors.

I would like to go even further and also separate distribution default code and locally installed code in the /usr tree. OpenSuse has developed a good proposal for this some time ago.

The nice thing about the overlay solution is that individual commands would not need to be modified to understand the new configuration.
--
Peter Boy
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pboy

Timezone: CET (UTC+1) / CEST (UTC+2)

Fedora Server Edition Working Group member
Fedora Docs team contributor and board member
Java developer and enthusiast