Re: Help packaging PyTorch dependencies for Fedora

On 12/8/23 08:34, Steve Grubb wrote:
On Friday, December 8, 2023 12:41:59 AM EST Jun Aruga (he / him) wrote:
Congratulations for the PyTorch package!
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/python-torch

I hope someone will announce this great achievement to the Fedora
community too, and update the following page too.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/PyTorch/packagingStatus

Yes, this is nice that we have pytorch in Fedora. Looking at the specfile...

USE_CUDA=OFF
USE_ROCM=OFF

Which does not align with:

%description
PyTorch is a Python package that provides two high-level features:
  * Tensor computation (like NumPy) with strong GPU acceleration

GPU acceleration? Also,

GPU acceleration is not enabled for the pytorch packages and that is intentional, for now. pytorch has a mess of third party dependencies which are managed upstream using git subrepos that point to external dependencies that may or may not be easy to package for Fedora. From the beginning, our plan has been to get pytorch packaged for CPU only first and add accelerator support as we can. Perhaps the description for pytorch needs to be changed but our intent is to enable ROCm support for F40.

I don't have the exact list of packages remaining before we can enable ROCm support for pytorch in front of me but I believe that we're down into the single digits and the biggest hurdle at the moment is ROCm's miopen due to some incompatibility with Fedora's llvm or hipcc.

USE_OPENMP=OFF

So, no threading? What about at least enabling BLAS? Maybe it is by default.
Not seeing it in the specfile. Without a CUDA version of this, it can't be
used the way it was meant to be. We still need to use pip install to get an
accelerated version:

I'm not familiar with OpenMP or what might be required there, Tom (cc'd) would know more on that exact detail.

I doubt that a CUDA version of pytorch will ever be packagable for the Fedora repos - the licensing on CUDA would have to change before that happens and while it's possible, it doesn't seem likely in the foreseeable future.

It would be great to enable support for Intel accelerators but that is a different project for a different day. ROCm is the only accelerator support that we have scoped out at this point.

pip install torch
python3
import torch
torch.__config__.show()

The config listed there should be compared with the config in the spec file to
get as close to the expected feature set as possible so that people can just
switch. This is a positive step and I would love to switch one day.

In general, there are two reasons why a torch feature is not enabled in the Fedora package:

1. The license of a dependency for that feature is incompatible with Fedora
2. One or more dependencies are not yet packaged for Fedora

Obviously, features that fall into (1) are very difficult, if not impossible for us to work around. Features that fall into (2) will likely need more time - the first build for PyTorch was about a week ago and we still have work to do.

We are working to get the pytorch packages in Fedora to be as complete as we can make them. If anyone is interested in helping, please join us on discourse (#ai-ml-sig) or Matrix (#ai-ml:fedoraproject.org).

Tim

Best Regards,
-Steve