Re: rpmbuild sagemath 10.1 on Fedora 38

Please keep your replies on the public mailing list where the
conversation started.

On Fri, Dec 8, 2023 at 3:39 PM Rafel Amer Ramon <rafel.amer@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> As a first attempt, I didn't use the patches beacuse a lot of them failed.
> Today I have revised and modified some of the patches and I can apply 20
> of them.

Right, this is always part of updating to a new sagemath version.  You
have to determine which of the patches are still needed, and whether
they need to be revised.  It's tedious work for sure.  And of course,
it's always a good idea to push as many patches upstream as possible
so that someday they can be dropped from the Fedora build altogether.

> I can't apply the patches sagemath-maxima.patch sagemath-python3.patch and
> sagemath-intersphinx.patch beacause the original files have changed a lot
> and I even don't know how to patch the files manually.

The question is whether the problems those patches address have been
fixed upstream.  If not, the patches will have to be ported to the new
sources.

> Now the process of buiding the package runs, but at the end I get the errors

Ignore the warnings.  Those symlinks are needed and correct.  This is the error:

> RPM build errors:
>     File not found: /root/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/sagemath-10.1-1.fc38.x86_64/usr/share/doc/sagemath/index.html
>     Directory not found: /root/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/sagemath-10.1-1.fc38.x86_64/usr/share/doc/sagemath/html

So either the documentation building step failed or the documentation
is installed in a different location now.  You will have to look in
the build log to determine which of those is the case.

> If I am able to buid the sagemath package, I'm interested in being the mantainer of it.

That would be great.  Hopefully upstream makes good progress on
supporting python 3.12.

Regards,
--
Jerry James