Re: goal: booting with an empty /etc

On Friday, December 8, 2023 11:23:29 AM EST Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
wrote:
> But yeah, there'll always be a few "special" files. But that's fine,
> we have mechanisms to handle those. For the other 99%, we should
> move them out of /etc.

The problem is that there would need to be a standard that all upstream
authors agree on. There are some like systemd which have a [SECTION_NAME]
followed by config items. Others do not make sections. What if the config is in
yaml, json, or XML? How can you see the end result? We would need to have a
standard library that everyone can use. From that, we need a utility to
compile the actual configuration that would be consumed by the service so we
can inspect it during troubleshooting.

Without this, security scanners are going to have a hard time determining
what the security posture of a system is. And the Security Content everywhere
will need to be changed, STIG, Common Criteria, CIS, USGCB, etc. Some of
these are very opinionated about the file permissions. Something would have to
check all files everywhere that make up a configuration. Again, security
scanners are not going to like this. So, the library would also probably need
to be able report all permissions used or set all permissions used. And then
there is the SE Linux labeling...

There would probably need to be some written standard on how to assess the
system security posture in this kind of world. This way tools can be adjusted
using the standards.

-Steve