Re: Obsoleting zlib in Fedora Rawhide

On Mon, 2023-12-04 at 16:10 -0300, Tulio Magno Quites Machado Filho
wrote:
> Following the recent approval from Fesco, I'm planning to distribute
> zlib-ng-compat packages for Rawhide later this week.
> I hope this will give us enough time to work on the issues before
> Fedora 40 is released. 🤞
>
> So, keep in mind this will *obsolete zlib in Rawhide*.
>
> This update is also known to trigger test failures in the following
> packages:
>
>  - binutils
>  - cpp-httplib
>  - git
>  - jose
>  - libpng
>  - openexr1
>  - openms
>  - python-3.12
>  - qpdf
>
> In general, the failing tests expect that libz will always have the
> same
> behavior, e.g.
>  - same output length
>  - identical output
>  - same version string format
>
> This will require changes in order to guarantee the tests do succeed.
>
> If you have any questions or need help with these issues, let me
> know.

I would expect these build/test issues to be fixed *BEFORE* the
obsoletion takes place, through COPR test builds and PRs etc.  Please
tell me that FESCo didn't give permissions to break such key packages?

Also, since this is essentially an SONAME change wrt zlib, the initial
build and mini-mass-rebuild of all dependents should occur in a side-
tag.  You're announcement doesn't mention this occurring.

--
Yaakov Selkowitz
Principal Software Engineer - Emerging RHEL