Re: Proven to be sickened

In my experience through the years, I've found very little proven
packagers that would work in what *I would see* as the right way.

I too despise random interventions from the higher power to my packages.
I rejoiced when the new process of removing inactive proven packagers
took place.

And I'd love to see the proven packagers losing their rights regularly
for breaking the guidelines. (Especially when there's nothing much
stopping them to request the proven packager status again and again,
but I hope in the small PITA of doing that might give them time for a
reflection on why they lost it and try better next time)

"Prior to making changes, provenpackagers should try to communicate
with owners of a package in bugzilla, dist-git pull request, IRC,
matrix, or email. They should be careful not to change other people’s
packages needlessly and try to do the minimal changes required to fix
problems, as explained more in depth in Who is Allowed to Modify Which
Packages."
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fesco/Provenpackager_policy/

In this particular case, if the commit was urgently needed by the
proven packager, I'd expect at least an explanation in the commit
message, what bigger whole this is part of (link to BZs or Fedora
change, or something).
If it wasn't urgent, I'd say PR would be in place instead. (with the
same reasoning included in the commit message)

I was raised (as a maintainer) watching closely the proven packager
'praiskup', which uses his powers conscientiously like no other proven
packager I've ever experienced. Especially early in my packager
career, I've gone to him many times, asking for proven packager
intervention that would come handy to me. I was refused every time,
with a good explanation of the processes I should take before residing
to the very last option - the proven packager intervention. It taught
me a lot. Through the years I was even thinking about becoming a
proven packager myself several times. However I haven't requested it
in the end, because, even when I did changes across dozens and dozen
of packages, there was never ever a time, where I would *need* to
reside to the proven packager powers to get my work done, as the
standard ways of contacting regular owners of the packages before that
always worked. (PR then BZ, then mail, then mailing list. I haven't
even needed to activate 'Policy for nonresponsive package
maintainers'.)

But I have a strong feeling the proven packagers powers are commonly
used because they are handy, instead of them being necessary.

Michal

--

Michal Schorm
Software Engineer