Re: packaging of nix

Hey!

On Wed, 2023-11-29 at 23:27 +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:

> I looked [1], and I see some differences in packaging:
> - I opted to put the libraries in /usr/lib64/nix/ and retain the
> RUNPATH
>   so that they get loaded from there. My thinking was that the
> libraries
>   are "private", i.e. they are used by the nix binaries and nothing
> else.
>   But I see that you have a -devel subpackage… Is it actually useful
>   for anything?
>
>   (If there is no known user, then I'd prefer to not add the -devel
> package
>   initially. If it turns out to be useful later on, it can always be
>   added.)

I think that's a better approach. I added the devel package because
headers and the pkg-config file exist. Potential clients may be Nix
Python or Go bindings. It's unlikely we would need them in Fedora
anytime soon. I would also vote to add a devel package when requested.

> - for the users, I'd prefer to create a sysusers file and submit it
> upstream.

Looks good to me! Until accepted upstream, we can keep userfile as an
additional source.

I think the multi-user mode[1] of Nix would better fit Fedroa. It's
also how NixOS uses Nix. The multi-user mode requires the mentioned
users and Nix daemon.

> - I see you have aws-sdk-cpp-devel. The build seemed to work fine
> without.

Yes, we can build Nix without it. From AWS SDK for C++, the S3 and the
transfer APIs are helpful. They allow access to the Nix binary cache
via S3 "protocol".

I find the AWS SDK for C++ easy to build but quite challenging to
package. So maybe it is better to start without.

> - I see you have '%undefine _hardened_build'. I didn't see any issues
> without
>   that… Maybe it's not needed anymore?

Probably, it's not needed. I'll try to build a newer version of Nix on
a more recent version of Fedora.

Regarding collaboration, we may prepare an initial SPEC file on a
public GitHub/GitLab repository, where we can work via Pull/Merge
Requests.

I would happily test the outputs of our work. We have quite a strong
Nix community at ESO :)

Cheers,

Piotr

[1] https://nixos.org/manual/nix/stable/installation/multi-user