Re: Inactive packages removed from packager group

On Mon, Nov 20, 2023 at 08:27:47AM +1100, Arthur G wrote:
> I recall a number of years back a proposed gcc upgrade broke many builds.
> This required most maintainers to log in and refactor their source code
> against the new gcc (and new gcc options).
>
> I hadn't logged into Fedora for years however I did do my due diligence and
> rather quickly logged in and fixed any issues.
>
> The recent move to remove inactive maintainers from the maintainers group
> is something I fully agree with for reasons of security against the current
> limitations of the maintainer privileges framework.
>
> However, this latest move to orphan packages that don't have maintainers
> seems rather clandestine as it's not related to security but rather a
> byproduct of the point mentioned above. If security wasn't an issue in the
> first place then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I'm not sure if I follow here. The reason the packages are orphaned is
because the maintainers were removed from the packager group. We can't
just leave them there as it would mean bugs would still be assigned to
them and they would be unable to actually push any changes or do
anything with the package(s).

> I wonder what spectacle will ensue should we ever need to refactor the
> source code again for extraneous reasons only to find a significant part of
> the maintainer cohort needs to go through the proven maintainer process
> again.

Well, active maintainers should be the ones to do this... so as long as
we have those...

kevin