Re: Heads up: libunibreak 5.1 update coming to rawhide

On 02-11-2023 11:19, Fabio Valentini wrote:
I have an update for libunibreak ready and plan to release that for
rawhide in a week (or slightly later).

The new version bumps libunibreak from so.3 to so.5.

I also intend to drop building for i686.

Note: Dropping builds for i686 is technically only allowed to happen
without bureaucracy if * and only if* the package is already a leaf package
on i686. Dropping i686 builds while package still depend on them is a
breaking change that needs to be coordinated better than via side note in
an soname bump notification.

Duly noted. However, I don't think "side note in an soname bump notification" applies here.

There are three dependent packages. One of which is mine. The other two need to be rebuilt and coordinated anyway. And I didn't just "note" dropping i686, I also submitted PRs to that extend and provided a side tag (as mentioned below).

Of the three packages, two have already been rebuilt. Should the third not follow suit, I can revert dropping i686 for libunibreak, keeping it for the packages that have already been rebuilt. So, there will still be a win of two leaf packages having dropped i686.

The following packages depend on libunibreak:

$ fedrq wr -s libunibreak-devel
coolreader-3.2.59-6.fc39.src
fbreader-0.99.4-12.fc39.src
naev-0.10.2-3.fc39.src

I will take care of coolreader. I have tested fbreader and naev in Copr
[1] and they build fine. I've created f40-build-side-76870 for
rebuilding against the updated libunibreak and dropping support for i686.

-- Sandro