Re: F40 Change Proposal: F40 MariaDB MySQL repackaging (Self-Contained)

Michal Schorm wrote:
> Some distros dropped MySQL entirely, some favors MariaDB. None of that
> changes the fact that MySQL still is a popular DB.
> Take a look how many people use, or want to learn MySQL:
> https://survey.stackoverflow.co/2023/#most-popular-technologies-database
> https://survey.stackoverflow.co/2022/#most-popular-technologies-database

I wonder how many of those actually made a concious decision for MySQL and
against MariaDB and how many of those:
* are actually using MariaDB and incorrectly still using the pre-fork name
  "MySQL", or
* do not actually care about whether they get MariaDB or MySQL and just use
  "MySQL" as a generic term for both, or
* are still using an ancient pre-fork MySQL from some LTS and/or EOL
  distribution, or
* accidentally picked MySQL (the actual MySQL, not just the name) because of
  old pre-fork tutorials using the name, or
* are using a distribution, web host, etc. that only offers MySQL.

The fact that we offer both also is not going to help nudge users one way or
the other, as would MariaDB being the only package to Provide the MySQL RPM
Provides. I am thinking of the LibreOffice model, where since the fork, we
have always only shipped LibreOffice and not OpenOffice.org or now Apache
OpenOffice. But of course you may consider not nudging the users a feature.

In the end it boils down to: How exactly have the forks diverged? Does MySQL
have any advantages other than name recognition, and if yes, what are they?
If both forks have unique features that make end users explicitly want a
particular one, then I agree shipping both makes sense.

As for having multiple versions of the SAME fork:

> I would like to have the alternative versions "closer" to Fedora.
> COPR is somehow "far", requiring users to be educated to know where to
> look and what to search for.
> I hope the parallel availability will significantly enhance the user
> experience, over any kind of "distant" repos.

I am not convinced having Conflicting packages in Fedora proper makes for a
better user experience than just enabling the Copr for whatever version of
MariaDB you want in the unlikely event the default is not good enough for
you. We also do not ship multiple versions of, e.g., LibreOffice.

        Kevin Kofler