Re: Request for comment- tuned replacing power-profiles-daemon plan

Hi Jonas,

On Mon, Oct 9, 2023 at 2:20 PM Jonas Ådahl <jadahl@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 05, 2023 at 03:29:44PM +0800, Kate Hsuan wrote:
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > We would like to replace power-profiles-daemon with tuned. There are
> > many power-related software that offer similar functions. Advanced
> > users may install several power management tools, for example, tuned
> > and power-profiles-daemon (ppd), and get confused about which tools
> > manage the system and cause unexpected behaviors for the system. By
> > integrating power-profiles-daemon with tuned, the user can get extra
> > features to finetune the system, and the basic feature provided by ppd
> > can be used according to the user's demand. It also can reduce the
> > efforts of the maintainer.
> >
> > The impact of this plan would be gnome-control-center (power panel),
>
> Also gnome-shell directly integrates with power-profiles-daemon. It is
> critical that both gnome-shell and gnome-control-center has no logic of
> their own to decide what a high level profile is, and changing the
> profile in gnome-control-center should immediately be reflected in
> gnome-shell, and vice versa. This is important because tweaking the
> profile with either gnome-control-center and gnome-shell should for all
> practical purposes do the exact same thing, meaning any actual logic
> must be a layer below them.
>
> This means something, e.g. tuned or a wrapper around it, needs to
> provide these high level profiles that power-profiles-daemon currently
> expose.

Thank you for noticing this.

We knew those gnome application gets the power profiles from ppd
through dbus. Both legacy API and new API should be provided and
implemented.
So, a bit of engineer overhead is needed for this integration
proposal. (API integration for the client and tuned...etc.)

> > KDE, sysprof, and tuned (or some projects depending on ppd). We should
> > move the ppd API and features to tuned to provide the same features of
> > it. From the API aspect, we also can design a new API for the basic
> > feature, ppd provided but the software dependent on ppd should be
> > modified to use the new API. Although, for the long-term plan, a set
> > of new API is a good option. For the short-term plan, moving the
> > original one to tuned is good for those applications depending on ppd.
>
> Any long term future API must still provide the high level "dumb" API
> for gnome-shell and gnome-control-center to consume for the reasons
> described above.

Yes, sure. Thanks for noticing it.
There are advantages and drawbacks for keeping old and having a new
API. We'll evaluate that and come out with a solution.
Also, I can help with switching to the new API for gnome-shell and g-c-c. :)

> Jonas
>

> > Moreover, the detailed change proposal can be found here.
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/TunedReplacesPower-profiles-daemon
> >
> > If you have any suggestions, please let us know.
> >
> > Thank you. :)
> > --
> > BR,
> > Kate