Re: Request for comment- tuned replacing power-profiles-daemon plan

Hi Yanko,

On Thu, Oct 5, 2023 at 5:49 PM Yanko Kaneti <yaneti@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello
>
> On Thu, 2023-10-05 at 15:29 +0800, Kate Hsuan wrote:
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > We would like to replace power-profiles-daemon with tuned.
> > Moreover, the detailed change proposal can be found here.
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/TunedReplacesPower-profiles-daemon
> >
> > If you have any suggestions, please let us know.
>
> Just a quick observation that tuned is python mostly with 10 times the
> installed footprint of power-profiles-daemon.

Thank you for your feedback. :)

tuned can provide advanced settings for more kinds of applications and
power management technologies.
Moreover, the basic function (ppd) can be kept and integrated with
tuned. Therefore, the user can select between the advanced and basic
modes according to the demands.
The benefits of it are greater than the installation overhead, I think.

> If power management is as fundamental as it seems recently I would
> really like to see minimal-footprint-closer-to-core thingie.. , i.e.
> something systemd-*... maybe.

It is a good way but it is a bit difficult to expand the power
management function.

> - Yanko

BR,
Kate