Re: Orphaning all my packages

On Tue, Oct 3 2023 at 02:23:34 PM -0400, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The *exact* set of source code that the package was built for is
included in the Source RPM and all of the individual changes that
comprised it are part of the c9s branch in CentOS Stream (or the
maintainer has been regressing code, in which case that should be
addressed). No, the git repo might not contain a specific git
reference that directly matches the SRPM you cite, but that's not at
all the same thing as "the code isn't available in git".

OK, technically the changes are indeed sort of included in the c9s branch in CentOS Stream, but only along with 6000 other upstream changes from the upstream source tarball. You'll never plausibly figure out what changes correspond to this RHEL update from CentOS Stream. You really need that RHEL subscription to get the SRPMs and diff them to see what changed. It's really an incredible stretch to claim the code is there in CentOS Stream when you have to search for the needle in a haystack to find them (and how would you possibly know what to look for?). And even this much is not guaranteed. I could have easily applied a different fix to this RHEL branch than I did to CentOS Stream. Such situations are hardly uncommon.

So let's stop this weird claim that the code is there, please; it's silly and just spreading confusion. We publish code for CentOS Stream. We don't publish code for RHEL anymore except to customers. That's just how it is.

Michael