Re: Mock v5.0 released (and mock-core-configs v39)

On neděle 20. srpna 2023 11:27:44 CEST Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> Dne 14. 08. 23 v 21:30 Michael J Gruber napsal(a):
> > Is this supposed to work now?
> >
> > With mock-5.0-1.fc38.noarch and after scrubbing, the image is pulled but
> > then not used because it is "not marked ready" (rawhide, f39, f38). Am I
> > holding it wrong?
>
> 1) When image is not marked ready then it is still used. Only
>    additional packages are installed into chroot when image is
>    unpacked. It is still faster than installing whole chroot using
>    DNF.
>
> 2) Only RHEL images has all packages installed by default:
>
> https://github.com/rpm-software-management/mock/commit/e7139e1ce10198066b13fd6d3e899e507c637bf8
>
> Other images does not have necessary tools installed.
>
> I do not expect that default Fedora images will have all packages
> installed by default. It does not make sense.
>
> This is targeted for teams that do frequent builds and they can prepare
> the image tuned for their needs and mark it as ready. It will
> significantly lower the time before mock starts rpmbuild.

Well, in what shape is our "layered image" build system?  Aren't we able
to create a new official image say `fedora-mock-bootstrap:<FEDORA_VERSION>`
that would be automatically built (ideally at least as frequently as the
base image is)?  This way we could optimize fedora builds for everyone.

Pavel