Re: Packaging guidelines - validation of AppStream metadata files

I must say that I found appstreamcli to be to unstable in CI of projects that I used to maintain, and file format documentation and validator source code reality diverge, and behaviour is understandably changed between appstreamcli revisions. We had to disable and later re-enable the metainfo tests in GNU Radio for various CI runners, because slightly different versions of the same validator couldn't agree amongst each other and with the file format documentation what is legal and what not.

There used to be a formal definition of what is legal in that file format (an XSD file), but it got, again, understandably, removed by the appstream maintainer, because they couldn't stem the workload of writing both a C parser/validator for this XML format as well as keep that XSD up to date [1].

So, now: we're left in a situation where we have a human-oriented documentation that we can't trust, a choice of two validation tools that are both buggy in our experience, and although this is an XML format, no format definition.

If Fedora depends on that validation, we might **really** want to help maintainers get the formal specification of the format back into shape. That would also make checking the documents tool-independent, and allow for validation in rpmbuild/lint steps without the wealth of dependencies that the specific tools bring.

My 2ct, anyway.

Cheers,
Marcus

[1] https://github.com/ximion/appstream/issues/279