Re: KDE and GNOME Join Hands To Add Payments To Turn Flathub Into a Store for the Linux Desktop

Am 04.09.23 um 03:48 schrieb Ryan Bach via devel:
Ryan Bach via devel wrote:

First of all, as has been pointed out by others, the headline is misleading,
since KDE and GNOME are not actually parties to the proposal and since the
proposal was not even accepted.

Secondly, IMHO, allowing fee-charging downloads is an anti-feature of an
application repository that I specifically do not want. One of the nicest
features of GNU/Linux is that I can just open the package manager and
download whatever I want without having to pay anything.

And finally, Red Hat trying to monetize the Desktop would be the worst
nightmare. I do not want my desktop GNU/Linux to be "monetized" by anyone,
neither by Red Hat nor by any other company.

         Kevin Kofler
What is so wrong about buying open source software?

The real question should be how to compensate for the
expenses/ressources so that the development is substantially
maintained. Any more concepts? The mentioned one is just one
way. I actually would suggest a micro-pay approach, not for
the software but for the motivation of the developers ...

--
Leon