Re: Can we squeeze coreutils-9.4 into Fedora 39?

On 8/30/23 15:45, Adam Williamson wrote:
On Wed, 2023-08-30 at 12:11 -0400, David Cantrell wrote:
On 8/29/23 23:13, Ian Laurie wrote:
coreutils-9.3 brought changes to the behavior of the -v option which
broke some of my automation scripts.

Because of this I have been blocking updates to coreutils in Rawhide and
Fedora 39. and I'm running coreutils-9.2-4.fc39.x86_64.

This change in the -v option has been reverted in 9.4 (released
2023-08-29).  From [1]:

** Changes in behavior

    'cp -v' and 'mv -v' will no longer output a message for each file
skipped
    due to -i, or -u.  Instead they only output this information with
--debug.
    I.e., 'cp -u -v' etc. will have the same verbosity as before
coreutils-9.3.

If it's too late to get 9.4 into 39, is it possible to locally include
this specific reverting patch?

[1] https://github.com/coreutils/coreutils/blob/master/NEWS

I personally agree that this is enough of a change to warrant
consideration for Fedora 39, but I want Fedora QA to weigh in.  At this
point we have beta and final blockers and you can use this form to
propose one:

https://qa.fedoraproject.org/blockerbugs/propose_bug

If you want some help filing this proposal or the process, I am happy to
answer questions here or in chat.  I am dcantrell on IRC and in Matrix chat.

well, the question is not so much how useful is *this* change, but what
*other* changes does coreutils 9.4 introduce. During Beta freeze, it
would be much safer to just backport this specific change.

Agreed. Recent coreutils releases have done a number of changes similar to this and it is not unreasonable to assume 9.4 might have more of those as well. Just taking in this patch makes sense as it restores longstanding behavior that users were relying on.

This is clearly not a Beta blocker, but you can propose it as a Beta
FE...

I was on the fence with this classification. My view is breaking longstanding behavior like this in very common commands in a minor version update for the software seems like it would lead to a lot of bug reports. But maybe that's just me. Whatever the appropriate classification is for this request is fine with me.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Red Hat, Inc. | Boston, MA | EST5EDT