Re: Removal of Modular repos broke upgrades to Fedora 39: What now?

On Fri, 2023-08-04 at 11:42 +0100, Adam Williamson wrote:

> > This is a big deal, because even users who don't use modularity at all (but
> > have not uninstalled fedora-repos-modular) will not be able to upgrade to
> > Fedora 39+ without reaching for help.
> >
> > Adam outlined 3 options to solve this problem in the bugzilla where he reported
> > this: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/2228827
>
> So an update to this, thanks to Miro for double-checking me: I had
> forgotten that the openQA tests edit the dnf config to point to the
> compose tree (in order to make sure we're testing the right thing -
> there's an ordering problem if we just test the actual 'rawhide'
> location on the mirror system, it might not have been synced by the
> time the tests run).
>
> It looks like the public 'rawhide' location *does* still have a Modular
> tree:
>
> https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/development/rawhide/Modular/
>
> but there's still a problem there, because...it's now just stale data.
> That is the Modular tree from the 20230802.n.0 compose, and unless
> someone does something about it, it always *will* be. Keeping the last
> set of modular repos frozen in amber forever doesn't seem like the best
> permanent situation :)
>
> So this is still an issue, but at least it doesn't actually immediately
> break upgrades to Rawhide using the default dnf config. I'll downgrade
> the bug severity appropriately.

Update to the update: now F39 has branched, this does indeed look
broken. Upgrades from F38 to F39 (or F37 to F39) fail because of the
non-existent modular repos: we get 404s from mirrormanager trying to
find 'fedora-modular-39' in the repo set, which doesn't exist. And
there is no "Modular" tree at
https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/development/39/
currently. I will update the bug.
--