Re: Removal of Modular repos broke upgrades to Fedora 39: What now?

On Fri, Aug 04, 2023 at 12:25:34PM +0100, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Fri, 2023-08-04 at 12:16 +0100, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> > >
> > > It looks like the public 'rawhide' location *does* still have a Modular
> > > tree:
> > >
> > > https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/development/rawhide/Modular/
> > >
> > > but there's still a problem there, because...it's now just stale data.
> > > That is the Modular tree from the 20230802.n.0 compose, and unless
> > > someone does something about it, it always *will* be. Keeping the last
> > > set of modular repos frozen in amber forever doesn't seem like the best
> > > permanent situation :)
> >
> > Do we still have the problem where dnf will preferrentially pick
> > content from a modular repo, even if it has older NEVR than the
> > same package name in a non-modular repo ?
> >
> > IOW, would the existance of this stale modular content, prevent
> > the upgrade tools from correctly bringing in content from the
> > new release ?
>
> Well, I think only if you have a module explicitly enabled. We dropped
> the whole "ooh, if this is in a module, pull it in and enable the
> module!" thing aaaaaaages ago, it only lasted like one release I think.
> IIRC, anyway.

Ok, so for most people it should be fairly harmless having the stale
content in the modular repo. During upgrade dnf will look at the repo
and ignore all the outdated RPMs. Them presumably something will have
an "Obsoletes: fedora-modular-repos" so the repo config files all
get erased during the upgrade, and thus the modular content will never
be consulted thereafter.

IOW, just leavnig the stale repo there forever wouldn't look
to be terrible, though from a conceptual POV it would be
nicer to just have an empty repo at the URL instead.

With regards,
Daniel