Re: Potential changes to systemd RPM macros

On Thu, Jul 20, 2023 at 02:01:37PM -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 20, 2023 at 07:40:08AM -0700, Andrea Bolognani wrote:
> > The problem is that Fedora 39 and RHEL 9.3 are fast approaching and,
> > if we don't do anything about this issue before then, a subset of
> > libvirt users will see their deployments broken after upgrade. In the
> > interest of avoiding that, I would prefer to get the libvirt-specific
> > version of the macros merged as soon as possible, and focus on
> > upstreaming the work all the way to systemd as a follow-up.
>
> Do you have a patch/PR we could look at to show what exactly these
> macros look like?

The full series[4] and the patch adding the new macros[5] were both
linked in the original message. I guess you must have missed them.
I've repeated the links below for your convenience.

Of course that's for the short-term, libvirt-specific solution, not
for the more generic one that we'd want to land in systemd.

> > Does this plan sound reasonable to the Fedora community? Are there
> > any serious concerns regarding the approach taken for the macros that
> > would cause them to be considered a complete no-go? Any scenarios
> > that I might have missed while implementing them?
>
> Not sure, but possibly. :)
>
> If for some reason this didn't turn out to be something we wanted to
> ship, what does the 'manual fix' look like? Complex?

What do you mean by "manual fix"? The steps that an admin that ends
up with a broken installation after the update would have to follow
to return it to a working state? If so, not really that bad, just a
few calls to systemctl.

However, realizing that the deployment is broken in the first place
is its own challenge (the failure mode might not be immediately
obvious), as would be figuring out the exact systemctl calls one
needs: there are at least two possible failures that I'm aware of,
and the fix is different based on which one you hit.

[4] https://listman.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2023-July/240723.html
[5] https://listman.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2023-July/240729.html