Re: Potential changes to systemd RPM macros

On Thu, Jul 20, 2023 at 07:40:08AM -0700, Andrea Bolognani wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this requires a bit of background, so please bear with me :)

Thanks for all the background... :)

...snip reasonable stuff...

I agree that an upstream systemd solution is what we should strive for.

> The problem is that Fedora 39 and RHEL 9.3 are fast approaching and,
> if we don't do anything about this issue before then, a subset of
> libvirt users will see their deployments broken after upgrade. In the
> interest of avoiding that, I would prefer to get the libvirt-specific
> version of the macros merged as soon as possible, and focus on
> upstreaming the work all the way to systemd as a follow-up.

Do you have a patch/PR we could look at to show what exactly these
macros look like?

> Does this plan sound reasonable to the Fedora community? Are there
> any serious concerns regarding the approach taken for the macros that
> would cause them to be considered a complete no-go? Any scenarios
> that I might have missed while implementing them?

Not sure, but possibly. :)

If for some reason this didn't turn out to be something we wanted to
ship, what does the 'manual fix' look like? Complex?

kevin