Re: Should Fedora switch to full kernel preemption (CONFIG_PREEMPT=y)?

On Wed, May 24, 2023, at 2:12 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Sat, May 20, 2023, at 4:43 PM, Demi Marie Obenour wrote:
> Therefore, I am
>> asking if Fedora should use full kernel preemption by default.
>
> https://pagure.io/fedora-workstation/issue/228
>
> The outstanding questions:
>
> a. Do we need some tests that help decide this with metrics? If so what
> should those be?
> b. Should it be restricted to the desktop edition/spins? Or Fedora wide?
> c. How do we make the change?
>
> I have no ideas for a.) and I don't know what would be a sufficient
> sample of workloads across all of Fedora; or whether to separately test
> the different editions.
>
> I think if the answer to b.) is it should be Fedora-wide, means there's
> more pressure to answer yes to a.)
> Whereas if it's focused on desktops, perhaps less testing is needed?

I lost track of this so unfortunately there's no Fedora 39 proposal.

If the only comparison is preempt full vs voluntary, that's a simple A vs B test to run a pile of benchmarks against. The question then is what set of benchmarks do we want to use for this? We could use the Phoronix test suite. At least we'd get an idea if the change would result in bad press (everyone laugh at the silly bad joke).

https://github.com/phoronix-test-suite/phoronix-test-suite

Otherwise I don't have any ideas what would be a suitable test suit. And also still unanswered is if the change should happen Fedora wide or restricted to desktops.

If restricted to desktops, then we can only do it with kernel parameters. That probably means doing it in Anaconda kickstart, with a per edition/spin option for doing so.

For this issue to progress, it needs one or more co-owners to help get it turned into a feature for Fedora 40.

--
Chris Murphy