Re: btrfs loses 32-bit application compatibility after a while

On Fri, Jul 14, 2023 at 10:45 PM Eric Sandeen <esandeen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 7/14/23 6:53 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> > * Neal Gompa:

> >> This was always possible. I'm curious as to why it took so long for us
> >> to hit it, though.
> >>
> >> The recommended solution is to create a new subvolume for these
> >> environments, since the inode count is reset for each subvolume.
> >
> > What about impact beyond the builders?
> >
> > Are end users are expected to do this?  Do we have a tool for this?
>
> FWIW, 64 bit inodes have existed in some Linux filesystems for a very
> long time. On XFS, you'll get them by default - and quickly, not after
> extended use - on a filesystem of sufficient size (around 1T-2T by
> default, if I remember right.)
>
> XFS does have a hack^Wmount option to force inodes into the 32-bit
> range, but just FWIW we almost never see users running into problems
> with 32-bit applications (but maybe because they know about the mount
> option...)

But that still raises the question - why does it look like this
started to happen pretty suddenly around June 30?
The list of updates that were applied to builders in that timeframe
doesn't raise any alarm bells (except maybe the 6.3 kernel):
(see https://pagure.io/releng/issue/11531#comment-864471)
I read the release notes for the 6.3 kernel but didn't see any
mentions of BTRFS changes that could explain this. :(

Fabio