Re: RFC: Roadmap for DNF5 in Fedora 39 / invoking the Contingency Mechanism

On Thu, 2023-07-13 at 23:59 +0200, Fabio Valentini wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm opening this thread to trigger discussion of the roadmap for DNF5
> in Fedora 39 - whether the switch still looks doable for this release,
> or whether it should be reverted for F39 and postponed to F40.
>
> This is also being tracked in a FESCo ticket:
> https://pagure.io/fesco/issue/3039
>
> The DNF5 Change was approved with the condition that bits that are
> important to the distribution *MUST* work, but this does not seem to
> be the case yet, six months after this was initially approved -
> there's at least a few things that are still using dnf-3 or have been
> broken since the switch to dnf5:
>
> - rawhide mock / koji builds still default to dnf-3 (DNF 4)
> - Fedora CI has been partially broken since the switch to DNF5 (c.f.
> [fedora-ci/general#416](https://pagure.io/fedora-ci/general/issue/416)),
> making CI results for bodhi updates at least partially useless
> - fedora-review has been broken since the switch to DNF5 (c.f.
> [FedoraReview#482](FedoraReview/issue/482)), which is really hurting
> the rate at which new packages are getting reviewed and added to
> Fedora
> - (not an exhaustive list, feel free to mention other things, I will
> update the list to include them)
>
> We are now mere days before the Fedora 39 mass rebuild is scheduled to
> start, so I think it's time to start talking about the roadmap for
> getting missing pieces into place for Fedora 39, or if that is not
> possible within this timeframe, whether the contingency mechanism
> should be enacted.

The biggest one for me is that offline updating - `dnf offline-upgrade`
- still isn't implemented on dnf5. But I've run into quite a lot of
smaller 'paper cuts', like `dnf history info <packagename>` doesn't
work...just today I found that installing an older kernel doesn't work
(older dnf does this just fine)...there are quite a lot of these at
https://github.com/rpm-software-management/dnf5/issues .
--
Adam Williamson (he/him/his)
Fedora QA