Re: F40 Change: Privacy-preserving Telemetry for Fedora Workstation (System-Wide)

On Tue, Jul 11 2023 at 02:19:31 PM -0500, Jeremy Linton <jeremy.linton@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Having finally had a chance to look at the list of collected metrics i'm
a bit worried about just how much information is being/can be gathered
by the project, as well as the frequency it is being gathered.

Personally, I think it would benefit fedora if questions such as "is
anyone actually using this hardware/driver/package" could be answered.
OTOH, the metrics presented above go far beyond that. I'm not sure why
its necessary to know how many times, or how long a particular
application is being used.

I think Endless needs more data than we do. ;) If they don't have application usage data then they could be *really* wasting their time developing stuff that users are not using. Fedora works a quite differently, but I can imagine we'd still be interested in counting use of at least some applications (e.g. was GNOME Builder started today?).

For avoidance of doubt, we won't actually collect the same metrics that Endless does. Metrics collected by Fedora will need to be individually approved via some sort of community process.

So, I would suggest that the intended metrics are included as part of
this proposal as well as the interval, and that it wouldn't be changed
without further community approval. Doing this would go a long way to
convincing me, and likely others, that its not worth the effort to
manually rip the entire subsystem out of fedora at the first chance on
my machines.

I agree that community approval should be required to make changes to what data we collect.

I was really hoping the initial proposal would not include particular metrics, so that each metric could be discussed separately outside the discussion of whether we should do this at all, but a lot of people are requesting this, so maybe we'll need to add a few.

If there is to be a "process" for changing them, then I think that needs
to be documented here rather than hand waving it away too.

I agree. Once we agree on what process should be used, I'll edit it into the change proposal. I've started a discussion on this here:

https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/potential-process-and-policies-for-approving-particular-metric-collection-a-breakout-topic-for-the-f40-change-request-on-privacy-preserving-telemetry-for-fedora-workstation/85632/2

IMHO, the data shouldn't be collected more frequently than every 6
months or so, which allows each collection to be presented to the user,
rather than having it just uploading the data in the background. Nor
should it be tracking _user_ actions, which I would differentiate from
machine state (bios machine type, RAM, installed packages, application
crashes, failed suspend/resume, kinds of things).

But given course grained tracking, why isn't it part of server/IoT/etc
as well, other than the current focus on gnome? Surely knowing that only
one user is running $APPLICATION on a server is useful too.

We do want to track user action, though (e.g. "what control center panels are used the most?"

6 months is too infrequent. I'm open to discussing how frequently metrics are uploaded, but I think the current value is 30 minutes. Presenting each collection to the user would be too much clutter, but I'll plan to build some way to inspect this manually for users who want to do so.

I think telemetry would be useful for server, IoT, and Fedora spins as well, but this is something for each edition or spin to decide for themselves. The technology is somewhat tied to GNOME because it depends on D-Bus and GVariant, but it can be used on servers too.

I also think its useful here to describe _exactly_ how to disable/remove
the component, as well as where the opt-in/out settings are stored in
the filesystem, how to change it, and where the log of reported data for
a given machine can be retrieved.

You can do: sudo dnf remove eos-event-recorder-daemon

The settings are stored in /etc/metrics/eos-metrics-permissions.conf

I'm not sure about logs of reported data, I agree but we'll have to build such functionality if it doesn't exist already.

I'll create a note to edit this into the change proposal.

To make this a little more confusing, metrics collection is actually
separate from uploading. Collection is always initially enabled, while
uploading is always initially disabled. The graphical toggle enables
or disables both at the same time. That is, a newly-installed Fedora
system will always collect metrics locally at first, but the collected
metrics will be deleted and never submitted to Fedora if the user
disables the metrics collection toggle on the privacy page. If the
user leaves the toggle enabled, then the collected metrics may be
submitted only after finishing the privacy page.

(trimmed rest)

Thanks for getting this far.