Re: CentOS Stream, RHEL, and Fedora [was Re: What is Fedora?]

Once upon a time, Mattia Verga <mattia.verga@xxxxxxxxx> said:
> Since RHEL is made out from Centos Stream and Centos Stream is made out from Fedora ELN, can't Alma and Rocky branch directly from Fedora?
> Can we collaborate in some way with those communities so that we support each other? I mean, like we have Fedora ELN and EPEL...

Their goal is to replicate, as near as practical, the versions, bug
fixes, patches, etc. in RHEL, so that the usage (and for some people,
running of pre-compiled binaries) is functionally identical to a given
RHEL release.  Since Red Hat has long used the "patch rather than
upgrade" approach for most packages during a release's lifetime, the
only way to get a practically-identical system is to get those same
patches.

In theory, any patch to a package in say RHEL 9.2 should eventually land
in CentOS Stream 9, because RHEL 9.3 should be forked from CentOS Stream
9, but that doesn't always happen in a convenient time frame (plus
sometimes something may be fixed one way in a 9.2 update but differently
in 9.3).  Also, CentOS Stream 9 will stop getting updated much sooner
than RHEL 9.x - when RHEL 9.x transitions to "maintenance mode" (no new
functionality planned, just bug/security fixes), CentOS Stream 9 will
stop altogether.

And Fedora ELN is aimed at CentOS Stream 10, which will eventually be
used to make RHEL 10.0, so is not useful for replicating RHEL 9.x
updates.

--
Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>