Re: F40 Change: Privacy-preserving Telemetry for Fedora Workstation (System-Wide)

Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> I would envision installing
> eos-event-recorder-daemon via a Recommends: from the
> gnome-control-center and gnome-initial-setup packages (and probably
> also by adding it to the workstation-product comps group), so if you
> don't have gnome-initial-setup or gnome-control-center installed, you
> wouldn't get in on upgrade.

I don't seem to have a package named gnome-initial-setup installed.
gnome-control-center is installed, but fortunately it looks like I can
remove it without losing anything important. I don't know what pulled in
gnome-control-center or when, but I used XFCE for many years (until it
became unusable on my laptop and drove me over to LXQT), and XFCE had
ties to various gnomy things.

> Certainly the metrics
> components should not be installed for non-GNOME users as part of this
> change proposal.

Having some package installed is not the same thing as using a
particular desktop environment. There are many possible reasons why
packages get installed, and they won't always get removed when they're
no longer needed. Among more than 4000 installed packages, there are
surely several I'm not actually using, but examining them all to
determine which ones can be removed would take a lot of work.

> I think eos-event-recorder-daemon uses some sort of ring buffer to
> eventually discard old events, so that storage space does not increase
> forever and should not become an issue?

That should make it somewhat less of a problem if it is so. It should of
course be verified before data gathering is turned on.

> (BTW, the GNOME 3 era concluded with the release of GNOME 40 in Fedora
> 34, so I wouldn't except Fedora users to still be using GNOME 3. :)

I need some way to distinguish between the Gnome that once was and the
very different thing that took over the name "Gnome".

Björn Persson