Re: F40 Change: Privacy-preserving Telemetry for Fedora Workstation (System-Wide)

On Fri, Jul 7 2023 at 12:25:12 PM -0500, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Is there going to be a recommended way to not accidentally install this stuff? I'm guessing the least work (for Fedora) would be to black list the key packages in the repo files. Making available a package that conflicts with them could be done, but it could accidentally get removed during and --allowerasing change. But this might be easier when doing installs.

Well I wouldn't necessarily expect it to be easy to install by mistake, but I do want to make sure it's not harmful if that happens somehow. So even if the packages are installed, they're still not going to upload metrics to Fedora without further user consent.

The local collection is a bit of a hole, but I like your suggestion to put a short time limit on that. Perhaps we can collect for something like one hour locally, then delete if the user has not consented to upload before then. Something like that.

Michael