Re: F40 Change: Privacy-preserving Telemetry for Fedora Workstation (System-Wide)

Am 07.07.23 um 12:19 schrieb Richard W.M. Jones:
On Thu, Jul 06, 2023 at 05:10:24PM +0100, Aoife Moloney wrote:
Important process note: we are experimenting with using Fedora
Discussion as part of the Changes process. Change announcements (like
the one you are reading right now) will still be sent to the
devel-announce mailing list, but the conversation about each change
will take place on Fedora Discussion at
https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/f40-change-request-privacy-preserving-telemetry-for-fedora-workstation-system-wide/85320

Why?  This was discussed a while back and the number problems with
discourse were covered, and to my knowledge none of them have been
fixed.

== Summary ==

The Red Hat Display Systems Team (which develops the desktop) proposes
to enable limited data collection of anonymous Fedora Workstation
usage metrics.

Fedora is an open source community project, and nobody is interested
in violating user privacy. We do not want to collect data about
individual users. We want to collect only aggregate usage metrics that
are actually needed to achieve specific Fedora improvement objectives,
and no more. We understand that if we violate our users' trust, then
we won't have many users left, so if metrics collection is approved,
we will need to be very careful to roll this out in a way that
respects our users at all times. (For example, we should not collect
users' search queries, because that would be creepy.)

This also keeps coming up and the answer is again, no!  There's no
such thing as anonymous data collection, people don't want it, it must
not be enabled by default (making it useless to you), it's probably
illegal in the Europe, so stop asking for it.

+1

General Data Protection Regulation in EU law.

"... consent can't be implied and must always be given through an opt-in ..."

--
Leon