Re: [HEADS UP] Python 3.12 side tag merging today (and what to do)

On 05-07-2023 00:06, Maxwell G wrote:
On Tue Jul 4, 2023 at 23:45 +0200, Sandro wrote:
<snip>
I see one of my packages, python-fvs, in the list of failed builds. I'm
also one of the maintainers of Bottles, which requires python-fvs.
Bottles itself is mostly Python code. I would have expected Bottles to
be rebuild as well. With python-fvs failing, Bottles should fail to install.

But bottles never received the 'Rebuilt for Python 3.12' commit. Most
interestingly, neither did python-fvs. But it is on the list of failed
builds.

AFAIK, the rebuild scripts only rebuild packages whose dependencies are
available. python-fvs depends on python3-orjson which fails to build
with Python 3.12. Its tests segfault. I opened [1] upstream. bottles
then depends on python3-fvs so that wasn't rebuilt either.

So, python-fvs fails to build solely because python-orjson is not available. And that is determined before the package is even build. Smart! ;) Albeit, it's a bit misleading, since the package wasn't really build. I was interested to learn why python-fvs failed to build. That's why I went looking for the build.

But what about Bottles? It was never built in f39-python either and python-fvs is not a build requirement for Bottles, only a runtime requirement. Does that also exclude it from being build in the side-tag?

I guess I just (have to) wait for FTBFS/FTI bug reports after the side tag is merged.

Sorry, if all that is obvious to experienced packagers. It's the first time for me that I'm going through a mass rebuild as a package maintainer.

[1]: https://github.com/ijl/orjson/issues/400

-- Sandro