Re: Red Hat & Fedora -- largely stepping out of this ecosystem

On Sun, Jul 2 2023 at 08:33:46 AM -0700, Carlos Rodriguez-Fernandez <carlosrodrifernandez@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Michael,

We have been told repeatedly that "the source is there" in CentOS
stream.

The source for the next minor version is there.

I can see the scenario that RH branches from CentOS stream to
create a new minor release, and during QA, a bug is discovered and a
patch is backported (or created) to fix it internally in your minor
release branch. However, if that bug wants to be addressed also in the
next minor release, it will need to appear in the CentOS stream at some
point, whether via a patch or an entire source version bump.

Right; nobody wants regressions. In this particular example, the fix is there via "an entire source version bump."

If that's not the case, then RH is having some long living parallel git
repo which will eventually create ABI compatibility issues, and it is
also not what we have been told.

So I'm really primarily here to talk about Fedora and CentOS Stream, because we often can't talk very much about RHEL. I'm going to point you to this page:

https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata/

And in particular this graphic:

https://access.redhat.com/sites/default/files/images/337_rhel_9_life_cycle_updates_0423.png

Suffice to say the lifecycle you see here only works if there are lots of long-lived parallel branches. ;) Branching does not inherently lead to ABI issues. For more info on ABI:

https://access.redhat.com/articles/rhel9-abi-compatibility

Michael