Re: Red Hat & Fedora -- largely stepping out of this ecosystem

That's not what is happening on those patches, Leslie. The RH engineers are adding the patches to the package which is basically how backporting works (as in all distros that do it), and then adding themselves as the maintainers that added the patches. Well documented as it should. They did not modify the patches themselves to appears as coming from them or RedHat employees.

Going forward, you will see those patches contributions going into Centos stream first, and they will be accepted by RH engineers, and then they will end up in CentOS Stream distro first, and finally in RHEL.

That's how normally distros operate when they do backporting.