Re: Announcing fmt library soversion bump

On 28/06/2023 23:39, Kalev Lember wrote:
Why? Now that you've already done all the work of adding the compatibility package, why drop it and break all of the unbuilt packages in rawhide? I don't think any of the packages from the list are release blocking, but it just seems antisocial for rawhide users to break packages they might be using, especially if it's no extra work for you at this point.

At least one maintainer emailed me that they want to use fmt9-devel instead of fixing FTBFS. Sorry, but I can't allow that.

Another possible solution - rebuild fmt9 without -devel subpackage to prevent its usage for building new packages.

Another thing that comes in my mind is that there is the ongoing python rebuild in f39-python and your rebuilt package set probably intersects with it.

Yes. All packages with Python bindings (dnf5 for example).

Would be good to let Miro know what packages they need to rebuild again once your fmt tag is merged.

Another reason to untag it is to make sure all packages are built against fmt 10.

Also FTI RHBZ tickets will be generated automatically.

--
Sincerely,
  Vitaly Zaitsev (vitaly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)